Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Emotional issues:cutters

Early in my teaching career, I was teaching how to draw circles using a compass. As I dutifully went around to help each student, one had found an inventive way to retool the instrument. He was happily??? don't know if that is the correct word exactly, carving his name into his arm. He was truly puzzled when I sent him to the counselor.

I know wikipedia is not the best source of information, but it says, "These functions include self-harm being used as a coping mechanism which provides temporary relief of intense feelings such as anxiety, depression, stress, emotional numbness and a sense of failure or self-loathing. " It was astounding to me that a 12 year old rich kid could be dealing with all or some of these things.

Currently there is a general lack of confidence about a "cure." Maybe treating underlying depression or anxiety may work.

Vocational Impact
Must wear long sleeves to cover the scars.
I imagine that high stress jobs would not be a good match for most of these people if it brings on the need to cut. On the other hand, maybe some would like the high energy. If you know more, please comment on this post.

Benefit
I was just thinking that the tattoo and piercing industry would benefit. Instead of being branded as a cutter, you might be able to use the services of the tattoo/piercing industry to do the work for you. Just thinking.

Throughout the ages, most peoples have rituals where they harm themselves in an effort to be closer to the truth. Fasts and self-flagellation are just two. I guess the question is culturally sanctioned or deviant self-mutilation.

No comments:

Post a Comment