Friday, June 4, 2010

ADHD: often causes feelings of restlessness

One of the most common issues for people with ADHD and those around them is fidgeting. It is hard to sit still and hard to put up with someone who cannot sit still. One leg starts to shake, under the table to start with, but then the table starts to shake. Another outlet is fiddling with pencils or items on the table. Extra energy builds up and needs direction, needs somewhere to go.

Vocational/Educational Impact
Sedentary jobs are not a great idea! That includes sitting in a classroom for 6 hours a day.

Difficulty concentrating on tasks.

All this fidgeting agitates co-workers/supervisors to the breaking point.
Doesn't it drive you crazy when someone is constantly clicking their pen. Click, click, click. Click, click. Stop it already!!!

Increase risk for accidents

Low stress tolerance

Strategies or What to do?
Build movement into activity. One of teachers I work with does her best thinking while she is ironing. Don't just sit there all day. Even something so simple as standing up and sitting down again can relieve that energy build up. Take a walk, but make sure to return to work asap.

Work standing up. Surprisingly, there are many work stations designed for people who need to work standing up. Not only does it allow for movement, but it is actually much better for your blood flow.

Chart/time productivity or work rate. This works really well. If I am stuck at a certain level on a computer game, I find that if I simply start writing down my scores at each level, suddenly I can do better. Somehow the statistics start to make sense to my brain and I start improving. Just chart what you are doing and what the outcome is. Things will start to improve.

Break tasks into small pieces. I plan on doing this blog one strategy a day because it would just be too hard to accomplish everything in one hit. Spend some time planning on how to break the tasks down. This could also be done with the help of someone who is really good at chopping things into small components. That way you get a lot of little things done. Plus the whole thing gets done as well.

Frequent breaks I can focus really well for about 30 minutes. If I am working hard, I know that every 30 minutes, I need a 30 second break: walk around the office, go to the restroom, drink some water. Then GO BACK to what I was doing. This is very important.

How can this be a strength?

A good friend loves her ADHD. If she wants her house clean, all she has to do is take a medication vacation. All that energy can move mountains. All that energy, captured and tamed, can get so much done.

Here's a treat: a little youtube video to assess your own attention power. Enjoy.
Attention video

No comments:

Post a Comment